Fish-keeping isn’t difficult as long as a few basic rules are adhered to.
- Be careful, wet floors can be very slippery. Every effort should be made to keep the working area safe
- Never use untreated tap water. It contains toxic chemicals that are harmful to fish and kill filter bacteria.
- Carry out regular water changes to remove dirt and waste products.
- Always ensure that the equipment is functioning properly.
- Have enough water, decor, treatments, and test-kits to carry out the maintenance with the minimum of fuss.
- Do not overfeed the fish, or overstock the aquarium. This will lead to poor water quality and fish disease.
- Remove diseased fish as soon as possible to prevent contamination.
- Before adding new fish check compatibility with existing fish, and its size when fully grown.
- Introduce the new fish slowly to avoid stress.